Operating a school district, whether large or small, involves complex business decisions and proactive planning to prevent legal disputes. Let Walsh Anderson’s experienced team of transactional attorneys help you navigate and negotiate your facilities & business with sound legal advice.
Consider our help with the following:
School District Contracts:
Procurement and General Business Contracting. Consultation and assistance with competitive procurement processes for goods and services. Preparation and/or review of your general business and service contracts, including Lease/Purchase Agreements, e-RATE matters, Supply Contracts, Interlocal Agreements, and Consultant Contracts.
Construction Procurement and Contracting. Assistance with selection of “best value” procurement method and procurement documents. Preparation and review of Architect, Contractor, Design-Builder or Program Manager Contracts, and providing advice for custom tailoring these Contracts to favor and protect the school district.
Real Estate Transactions:
- Purchase. Consultation and preparation of documents related to the purchase of real estate including consideration of public access and utilities including electricity, water and sewer service, and review of associated contracts with entities that provide these services.
- Sale. Assistance in compliance with legal notice and posting requirements for sale of real estate by the district.
- Detachment and Annexation/School Boundary Changes. As districts grow, issues regarding where students are best served can arise. Whether served with a petition for Detachment and Annexation or considering voluntary boundary changes, our attorneys can assist Districts in compliance with navigating the legal requirements of these transitions.
- Contract Dispute Resolution. In the event that mediation, arbitration or litigation is necessary to resolve a dispute, our attorneys can provide the continuity and advocacy you need, from filing to case conclusion in procurement matters, payment disputes, delay claims, and negligence claims in the construction context, as well as general contract, e-RATE regulatory matters, and real estate disputes.
- Payment and Performance Bond Enforcement. In the event of contractor default, our attorneys are experienced in working with sureties to secure payment under the Performance and Payment Bonds provided by the contractor, or to press enforcement of the bonds, and to work toward timely completion of the job and/or payment of sub-contractors and suppliers